I recently learned that plug-in and spray-can air fresheners and scented candles are full of harmful chemicals including (but certainly not limited to) benzene, formaldehyde, polystyrene, and phthalates. For years I’ve been unknowingly filling my home with harmful chemicals. After doing some research I finally found a healthy, natural, and inexpensive alternative.
All You Need:
- Small Mason Jar
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- 15-20 Drops of Essential Oils
- Scrapbooking Paper
The baking soda will absorb any odors in the air while the essential oils fill the room with a subtle, yet refreshing scent. My favorite combination is Lemon, Lemongrass, &Wild Orange, but if that recipe isn’t for you there are an endless amount of other combination possibilities.
To Make Your Homemade Air Freshener:
- Cut a circle out of the scrapbooking paper the size of the removable metal top
- Replace the removable metal top of the jar with scrap booking paper.
- Fill your Mason Jar with 1/2 cup of baking soda.
- Add 15-20 drops of Essential Oils
- Close lid and use scissors to poke small holes (6-9) in the scrapbooking paper lid
- LIGHTLY shake the jar from side to side to evenly distribute the oils.
And voilà! You’ll want to add 5-10 drops of Essential oils to the jar every 1-2 weeks and replace the baking soda every few months because it absorbs household odors.